Government College for Men, Kadapa was established in 1948 is one of the oldest and the most prestigious institution in Rayalaseema area of Southern Andhra Pradesh. The college is popularly known to the people of Kadapa district as Government Arts College and it was renamed later as Govt. College for Men. As the college is about to complete 60 years of its yeoman service to the noble course of education, it is appropriate to look back at its beginning and growth and its contribution to the people of Kadapa district in particular and to the country in general over the period of 6 decades.
The district of Kadapa had been without a college for many years. The then government of the composite Madras state announced that it was its policy to start one college in every district headquarters. The citizens of Kadapa promptly co-operated with the Government in making it possible to start the college in 1948 in the locally available District Board Buildings or Zillaparishad Buildings.
A college committee was formed with late Sri. N. Ranga Reddy, a leading advocate of Kadapa town, as President , Sri. JagirdarRamachandraRao., B.A., B.L., as Secretary and Sri. T.M. Seshadri., B.A., B.L., as the Treasurer to raise funds for the construction of the college Hostel Building. Sri. Mohammed Ismail Sahib, District Educational Officer at the time, Sri. R.S. Malayappan, B.A., the then District Collector and late Sri. B. MadhavaRaoNaidu, Played an active and vital part in making the District Board building available to the college committee for housinng the proposed college and finding a suitable site of nearly 50 acres near the Railway station for the construction of permanent building for the college.Minecraft