DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
Government College for Men was started in the year 1948 as second Grade College by
the name Government Arts College. In 1949 Science groups were introduced in the form of
Intermediate course with mathematics, Physics and Chemistry combinations and in 1950 Natural
Science, Physics and Chemistry were started. In the year 1957 intermediate course was abolished
and PUC was introduced in its place.
In July 1958, three year Degree B.Sc. special courses were introduced with
1. Chemistry, Physics and Zoology.
2. Botany, Zoology and Chemistry
Further Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry combinations were sanctioned. In 1998-1999
several restructured courses like Biochemistry, Biotechnology, and Microbiology were
introduced. From 1998-1999 chemistry was offered as one of the subjects for various science
groups of restructured courses.
The department of chemistry has continually been striving for excellence in teaching and
research. Faculty members of the department are highly qualified, dedicated and competent in
teaching as well as in research. The faculty members lay emphasis on inclusion of modern
teaching technologies viz. LCDs, Models and Practical demonstration. The department has 2
computer systems with internet facility.
The existing groups are:
1. Chemistry in combination with Mathematics and Physics (English & Telugu medium)
2. Chemistry in combination with Geology and Physics (English & Telugu medium)
3. Chemistry in combination with Botany and Zoology (English & Telugu medium)
4. Chemistry in combination with Biotechnology and Zoology (English medium)
5. Chemistry in combination with Biotechnology and Botany (English medium)
6. Chemistry in combination with Botany and Horticulture (English medium)
PG course (M.Sc Organic Chemistry) was started from the academic year 2017-18 and is
affiliated with Yogi Vemana University, Kadapa.